A revised and updated beginner’s dictionary written for children in grades K–2, ages 5–7.
- Formerly Merriam-Webster’s Primary Dictionary, this reference for young readers introduces almost 3,000 words using 1,000 entries with hundreds of captivating illustrations by Ruth Heller
- Full sentences are used to discuss definitions, common phrases, and usage examples in age-appropriate language to show how words are used in context
- Many entries include alternate meanings, word histories, related words, and the way words sound
- Teaches basic dictionary skills: alphabetization, spelling, parts of speech, letter sounds, use of synonyms and antonyms, homographs and homophones
- Jokes, riddles, poems, and fun facts based on word play make learning fun
- References to popular stories, fairy tales, myths, and nursery rhymes spark imagination and encourage language exploration